Let's learn about the ways customers can opt-in to your bot. The more opt-ins you encourage, the more successful your bot will be! You can follow the video or walkthrough below.
In this section we will:
- Take a look at each opt-in feature.
- Learn where to find your opt-in tool settings.
- Create a welcome pop-up.
What is an opt-in?
An opt-in is a way that the customer agrees to receive communications from you through Messenger. It’s similar to someone adding their email to an email list!
After someone is opted-in they become a subscriber to your bot. This means you can send them news updates, promotional messages, their order status and more!
The more ways for customers to opt-in = more bot subscribers you’ll have = more ROI from the initiatives you run 🤑
Customers have a lot of ways they can subscribe to your Messenger. We'll mainly be taking a look at opt-in tools that integrate with Shopify, but don't worry - we'll take a closer look at other options in later articles. Check out any of the links below for a deep dive into each of these opt-in methods!
Shopify opt-in tools
- Welcome Pop-up
- Exit Intent Pop-up (Pro & Enterprise Plans)
- Add to Cart Pop-up
- Add to Cart Checkbox
- Order Status Page Button
- Customer Chat Widget
- Website Capture
Other ways to encourage opt-ins
Shopify opt-in tools
Let’s go over the ways a customer can opt-in through your Shopify website.
- Welcome pop-up: The first time someone visits your site you can offer them a welcome message or discount code through Messenger. Once they click the call to action, a message from your bot will trigger with a discount code. We'll create the welcome pop-up later in this article.
- Exit intent pop-up: Encourages a customer to subscribe to your Messenger when they take actions that indicate they're intending to leave your site.
Note: the exit intent pop-up is only available for Pro and Enterprise users. Check out how to upgrade here.
- Add to cart pop-up: This tool creates a pop-up that lets customers subscribe to your bot after adding an item to their cart, with the full customization options that the welcome and exit intent pop-ups offer.
- Add to cart checkbox: Turning on this opt-in method will add a useful checkbox below your Add to Cart button that a customer can use to opt-in to your bot.
- Order status page button: This opt-in method appears on the order confirmation page, giving customers a way to opt into your bot while also subscribing to order status updates.
- Customer chat widget: The chat widget lets customers start messaging your bot from your store. Beginning the conversation will opt them in and they'll be able to seamlessly continue engaging your bot on the website.
Tip: This is a great way to provide support to customers on your website. You can read about how to train automated responses for your bot here.
- Website capture: You can generate code for a pop-up or button that you can add anywhere on your site. This code isn't exclusive to Shopify - you can use it on a non-Shopify website as well!
Opt-in tools you can use outside of your website
- Comment capture: Comment captures get opt-ins on your Facebook page, rather than your website. With this feature, your bot will be able to ask users if they'd like to subscribe to Messenger once they've posted a comment. We'll take a closer look at this and set up Global Facebook Comments later in the series.
- Convo sharing: One flexible method of acquiring opt-ins from outside of your website is by sharing one of your Convos! Read more about Convo sharing here.
- Facebook ads: Octane AI's Facebook ads integrations are a powerful way to reach more audiences and get opt-ins outside of your Shopify webspace. Learn how to maximize your outreach through Facebook ads here.
- Email pop-ups: If you're currently using JustUno or Privy, Octane AI integrates with both apps! Check out detailed guides on each integration in the links above.
How do I turn on an opt-in tool?
Turning on an opt-in tool is super easy. Once a specific opt-in has been setup, you'll have quick access to any of your opt-in tools through your homepage.
You can also directly navigate to the opt-in tools page through the dashboard menu on the left.
Each tool you've set up will display a switch that will instantly turn the tool on or off.
Tip: Facebook ads are managed on their own webpage, which you can access on dashboard menu as well.
How to setup a welcome pop-up
Welcome pop-ups are one of the most effective ways to gather more subscribers. Let's go ahead and set this opt-in tool up to give your bot a head start!
First, you'll have to create a discount code in your Shopify store, which is required for the welcome pop-up to work correctly.
Next, let's navigate to the welcome pop-up's Edit page. You can get there by clicking on the "Edit" button on the welcome pop-up page:
From here, you can edit your pop-up all on one page! Your customization options are split into three sections:
- Discount message: The message your bot sends customers who choose to receive the discount in Messenger upon opting in.
- Design: Customize the visual aspects of your pop-up.
- Placement: Decide where and when your pop-up will appear.
Now, let's set up your discount message. This is where you'll be using the code you created earlier. You can keep it simple, or flourish your discount message with links and images.
Next, you'll see the design area. Any changes you make to the image, text or color will be instantly displayed in the Preview which shows you what the pop-up will look like on your website.
Finally, let's decide how your pop-up will be placed. You can choose to have the pop-up show when a user visits any of your webpages for the first time, or you can choose specific ones like your home page.
Tip: Use keywords to have your pop-up show only on related webpages!
Once your pop-up has been set up, you'll be able to easily turn it on or off through the home page at any time.
Opt-in tools can do a lot to grow your audience and increase revenue, so it's worth thinking about the best ways to use each one.
Keep in mind where customers navigate to most, and how you can encourage more opt-ins. Remember, the more opt-ins and subscribers you have, the more effective your bot will be!
NEXT UP: Lists: Target Your Audience With Accuracy
Optional Video: Adding Octane AI to your Shopify Store
Optional Video: Switching to Octane AI