Sponsored messages are a type of an ad that can be sent directly as a message to anyone who has messaged your Facebook page. One of the greatest advantages of sponsored messages is that you can target any custom audience on your Facebook Ads Manager, and the message will be sent to everyone in the audience who has talked to your Facebook page before, even if they are not subscribed to your bot.
Sponsored messages can also be used to reach your subscribers that are not eligible to receive promotional broadcast messages.
How can I create a sponsored message?
1. Go to Facebook Ads.
2. If you haven't already, connect your Facebook ads account. Once connected, it will look similar to below. For more information on Facebook ads statistics and what they mean, learn more here.
3. Click the New sponsored message"button and you will get the sponsored messages editor.
4. Add the name of the sponsored message - this will be the name of the ad in the Octane AI dashboard and in your Facebook Ads Manager. You can track ad-related events to a pixel by selecting the pixel from your connected ads manager. You don't need to select an objective as sponsored messages don't support conversion objectives.
5. Message: create the message that will be sent as a push notification to your targeted audience. Make sure it has a strong call to action for why they should continue the convo with your bot (depending on the type of the campaign) i.e.: "We are giving away a 20% discount code for today only! Are you in?"
6. Campaign: create a new campaign or choose an existing one from the campaigns dropdown.
7. An ad set is a group of ads (sponsored messages) that share the same budget, schedule, delivery optimization and targeting. You can create a new one or choose an existing one from the dropdown.
8. Set a maximum bid - a maximum bid is required for sponsored messages, since they use the accelerated delivery function.
The minimum required here varies based on country. You can view your minimum within ads manager when editing the bid field.
This field is found under Optimization & Delivery when editing an ad set.
9. Set the daily budget.
10. Choose the targeted audience from the dropdown: select from an Octane AI list (see below for how to add a custom list as a new Custom Audience) any of your saved Custom Audiences you already created in the Facebook Ads Manager.
11. Click on the Preview button on the bottom of the editor in order to see how your message will look in the Messenger once it's sent to your customers:
12. Click on the "Create" button and the ad will be created in the Facebook Ads Manager
13. In the Facebook Ads Manager you will be able to preview the message that will be sent to your customer and make any additional customizations.
Can Octane AI create custom audiences for my Facebook ads?
Once you have connected your ads account, you can create custom audiences from any Octane AI lists. For All subscribers list, the custom audience will be created automatically. For specific lists you want to add you can go into Lists, click the list you want to add, click Edit list and then toggle the option to Create Facebook custom audience for that list:
Check out this video to learn how to set up your first Sponsored message:
Here is the step by step walkthrough on how to set up this type of sponsored message:
- Targeted audience: people who come to our online store, look around, and then don't add any items to their cart
- Campaign: An automated Sponsored Message that will get sent out thanking people for stopping by the store and then recommending the most popular items.
- Connect Your Facebook Advertising Account to Octane AI
🔹 Click Facebook Ads on the left hand side.
🔹 Click the Connect Facebook ad account button.
🔹 Choose your the ad account for your brand and click Connect.
2. Create a Custom Browse Abandonment Facebook Audience
If you don't already have a custom audience on Facebook for browse abandonment, let's make that now.
🔹 Go to your Facebook Ads Manager, click the menu item in the top left, and mouse over All Tools on the bottom, and then click Audiences under Assets.
🔹 Click Create Audience and then Custom Audience.
🔹 Click Website traffic.
🔹 Set your audience as All website visitors in the past 30 days.
🔹 Click Exclude People.
🔹 Set to AddToCart in the past 30 days so that we can filter out the people who did add an item to their cart.
🔹 Name your audience and click Create Audience.
3. Create and Launch a Sponsored Message
🔹 Click New Sponsored Message at the top of the page.
🔹 Name the ad something that you will remember. This is what the ad will be called inside of Octane AI and when it appears in your Facebook Ads Manager.
🔹 Write out the first part of the Sponsored Message. This is the first message people will get when they are sent the Sponsored Message.
🔹 Click the Add Reply button on the right to add a button people can push to continue the conversation.
🔹 Type out the text for the button, for example "Yes!" or "Of course!". This enables people to push a button to answer the question you put in the first message. You can have one response, or multiple. (You can even have the responses lead towards different parts of the conversation using Tangents, but we won't go into that right now.)
🔹 Write out a new message to the bottom left. This is the message people will get when they hit the "Yes!" button.
🔹 Now let's add some products! Click the grey + button and then select the Add a product icon.
🔹 This will automatically pull in all the items from your store and let you choose which ones you want to include in the Sponsored Message. Choose the ones that make sense for your browse abandonment Sponsored Message.
🔹 Add another message below that prompts people to go view all of your products on your store.
🔹 Click the grey + button, choose the Add Button option, and then select Link to a Web site.
🔹 Add the button text Shop now and the URL for your website (or a collections page).
🔹 Create a new campaign and ad set or choose existing ones.
🔹 Set a maximum bid (optional) and a daily budget.
🔹 Choose your browse abandonment audience from the dropdown.
🔹 Click Preview to see what the messages will look like, and then click Create when you are ready to add this to your Facebook Ads Manager.
🔹 Click the Facebook's Ads Manager link to view the ad in your Facebook ads account.
🔹 Click Review and Publish to turn the ad on.
For more info on Facebook ads for ecommerce check out this complete guide.