On March 31, 2022, Octane AI will end support (i.e. deprecate) for SMS sending so we can focus on zero-party data features like the quiz and pop-ups. To learn more, check out this article.
Shopify allows its stores to collect SMS marketing opt-ins through an option available in each store's checkout settings. Setting it up is quick and easy, especially since Shopify helps make the process compliant with various SMS regulations by default. An in-depth guide on SMS compliance with Octane AI is available, but in this guide we'll focus on how to enable SMS opt-ins through Shopify checkout.
Table of Contents
The content in this guide is intended to be educational and should not be construed as legal advice. We encourage all of our users & merchants to seek legal advice in order to verify that they are SMS marketing compliant.
1. Shopify SMS Subscriptions
When a customer places an order on your Shopify store, you can add a checkbox that allows someone to also give you SMS marketing consent. Any phone numbers you collect with this checkbox will automatically be synced into Octane AI as an SMS subscriber, letting you use Octane AI SMS features with that customer while keeping customer data synced across platforms.
Shopify optimizes this option by default for SMS compliance already allowing you to collect opt-ins with this method in just a few steps.
1.1. Enabling SMS Opt-ins through Shopify
To turn this option on, follow the video or the steps below.
1. From your Shopify store's admin dashboard, head over to the Settings page.
2. Once in Settings, use the left menu to click on Checkout.
3. Scroll down until you find the Marketing consent section.
4. Check the option to "Show an option to subscribe at checkout" under SMS and save your changes.
2. Editing Language in Shopify Checkout
The SMS marketing disclaimer that Shopify includes for your store by default can be changed, along with most language in Shopify's checkout such as the SMS opt-in checkbox text.
Since Shopify has already optimized this disclaimer to adhere to SMS compliance requirements set by the TCPA and CTIA, we recommend changing this only after consulting legal advice.
To change this text and most other text in your Shopify store, follow the steps below.
1. From your Shopify store's admin dashboard, click on Online Store.
2. In your currently active theme, click on the Actions dropdown menu and select Edit languages.
3. Find the Checkout & system tab on the Language screen.
From this screen, you'll have the option to go with step 4 or step 5.
4. Scroll down until you find the Checkout marketing section.
5. Using the Filter bar, search the term "marketing".
Using the keyword "marketing" in the Filter bar will let you quickly locate the Checkout marketing and Checkout marketing sms disclaimer sections in the Language screen.
Have any questions? Send an email to [email protected] or use the support icon to chat with our team.