In the video and walkthrough below, we'll go through some advanced ways to use Sponsored Messages with Octane AI and Facebook Ads Manager. Specifically:
- What are custom Facebook audiences and event data?
- Where you can find custom Facebook audiences and event data
- How to set-up a discount campaign that targets users using Add to Cart event data
- Other ideas for using custom Facebook audiences and event data
The secret power of Sponsored Messages is that they can be triggered based on custom Facebook audiences and event data.
What are custom Facebook audiences?
A custom audience is a type of audience that you can create made up of your existing contacts. You can target ads you’ve created on Facebook, Instagram, and Audience Network.
What is event data?
Event data are events that are sent from into Facebook Ads Manager that you can use to create custom Facebook Audiences.
For example, later we’ll be creating a campaign using Add to Cart event data to create a custom audience of people who have added to their cart.
This means that when someone adds to their cart, that data is tracked and sent into Facebook Ads Manager as an event.
Where can you find custom Facebook audiences and event data?
Within Facebook Ads Manager, under the Ad Sets level (Not Campaign or Ad) you can find the Audience section by clicking Edit.
Here, you can exclude saved audiences or create new audiences as shown below.
To find event data from your site, create a new Custom Audience, and select Website Traffic sources.
Here you can see the events sent in to Facebook Ads Manager that you can use to create a new custom audience. For example, if someone added to wishlist or viewed content.
Let’s Create a Campaign
To create a Sponsored Message campaign:
- Set-up your message in Octane AI
- Edit and turn on your messages in Facebook Ads Manager
This campaign will be to send a holiday discount code in a sponsored message, and a follow up sponsored message that will target only customers who didn’t add to their cart from the first message. We’ll target using custom Facebook audiences and add to cart event data.
In your Octane AI back-end, go to Facebook Ads and click New Sponsored Message. You can now name and add a message you’d like to be sent. Here I’ve added a product below to send people to my site:
I’ll then name the Campaign and create a new Ad Set under the campaign. You can then set your budget as you like and target your audience to All Subscribers. This ad I will want to send to everyone who has engaged with my Messenger.
Now, I’ll create the second message that I’d like to send as a reminder to those who didn’t purchase from my first Sponsored Message that I just created.
When creating this ad, I want to select the same Campaign, but a different Ad Set so I can target the custom Facebook audience within Facebook Ads Manager later.
I’ll leave this targeted to all subscribers, to change in Facebook Ads Manager. And press create to create the draft for Ads Manager
Now you can see both messages listed in your Facebook Ads section.
You’ll notice that when you click on each message, you have the ability to edit only the message portion of that Sponsored Message. This you can edit before you publish the message live and it will reflect in Facebook Ads Manager. Any other edits (like to budget or audience) is done within Facebook Ads Manager.
So let’s go over to Facebook Ads Manager to make our final edits.
Within the Ad Sets for this Holiday Discount Campaign, I want to edit the audience for my second message that will send as a reminder.
I’ll click on Edit, and scroll down to Audience.
Here, I can create a new Custom Audience.
And by clicking Website Traffic as a source, I can use Octane AI’s add to cart event data to create a new custom Facebook audience.
For this message, I’d like to send it two days later and target the same audience as the first message excluding those who added to their cart. The people who added to their cart would have either purchased or been eligible for my abandoned cart flow.
Now that my custom audience is created, I’ll go ahead and exclude people within this custom Facebook audience.
Now, I can publish the first sponsored message, and in two days time publish the second sponsored message which will target those who did not add to their cart from the first sponsored message.
Using this new knowledge about custom Facebook audiences and event data - you can get creative! Post them in our Facebook Community!
Here are some cool ideas:
- Product Finder: Ask the customer their preferences and show them products that match.
- Customer Satisfaction: Ask the customer about their shopping and product experience.
- Newsletter Signup: Collect email address in the conversation and automatically sync it to an email platform like Klaviyo.
- Incentives: Offer a discount code in exchange for the person to answer questions or submit information like an email address, location, or phone number.
- Sales Conversations: Automate the first part of a high-touch sales conversation, and then hand off to a human to complete the sale.
- Browse Abandonment: Send a message to people who are connected to you on Messenger and go to your website, but don't add anything to their cart.
- Instagram Promotion: Message people who are connected to you on Messenger but do not follow you on Instagram.
- New Sale or Products: Message people who are connected to you on Messenger about a new sale or product.
- Cart Abandonment: Send a follow-up message to people who have items in their cart, but haven't purchased yet.
- Prompt a Referral: Ask customers if they enjoyed their delivered product and, if the response is positive, encourage them to share their referral link with their friends.
- Quizzes: Create conversational quizzes to engage customers.